Saturday, November 17, 2012

Tube Turning Tip

One of the joys of sewing for all age groups is making a fabric tube and then turning it inside out.  I've been known to double fold and sew the edge rather than face the daunting task of getting a small tube to thread through itself.  I'll bet you share this frustration!

Tube turning gadget
Today, I faced that task yet again as I was turning the strap on a fleece muff.  I have this handy little gadget to help me turn a tube, but often there is nothing to fasten the top hook to.  I've tried making a thread loop and I have even been known to make a hole in the seam to thread the hook through.  Today though I thought of a new and much better method.  I hope you'll think so, too.

hook at the top of the gadget
You'll need to use your imagination on the first part which is to insert the gadget into one end of the unturned tube first until the hook on the top comes through the other end.  I forgot to photograph that step!
Hold on to the loop handle as you insert it and make sure it doesn't get lost inside the tube.  Most tubes are small enough that wouldn't be a problem, but this tube was wider than most.

Hook the gadget to a safety pin woven through the seam allowance
This time I fastened a safety pen through the seam allowance- weaving it through so it would hold without tearing the fleece.  Then I hooked the gadget to the safety pin and pulled.  Wow! That was the fastest tube turn I've ever done!  As long as you have a safety pin small enough to slide through your tube, this tip should work for you, too.
and pull!




I'd love to hear  your tips for sewing for children.  I'm looking for guest bloggers. Leave a comment and you could be posting your tip here, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, Critiques, Criticisms, Questions?